Catch Up

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Its been awhile since I've written on this.  Currently, I'm sitting in a hotel in Vienna, Austria.  Their keboard is a little strange so if I seem to be making an abnormal amound of odd typing errors that's why.  For instance, their z and y are switched on this kezboard.  It's confusing.  I arrived in Vienna yesterday.  It is a beautiful city.  There is this road that encircles the city that used to be the wall that surrounded the city and it is really neat.  One of my leaders, Brother A., served his mission in Vienna so he knows a lot about this area and he speaks German.  I've been trying to ask people in every country I go to how to say things in their language.  I think it's really fun and a language is such a basic part of anz culture. 
Today I had brotwurst.  It was awful.  I think that I have eaten more meat in the last few days than I have in the last month.  It is so gross.  The dinner I had last night was pretty good though.  It was pounded pork (?) with baby potatos in herbs and a soup (their word is zupa). 
We walked through this market today and it was so neat.  It was a market of all sorts of things.  Restaurants, vegtables, fruit, SPICES (!), clothing, meat, etc.  I honestly love the spice section.  It was just a whole row of stalls filled with fresh spices! I think I'm in love.  We also took a walking tour of Vienna earlier.  It was so cool to see the churches. 
Okay.  Now I am going o backtrack a little.  Back to England.  We first took a ferri (which was almost like a cruise).  Then when we got to England we went to Salisbury.  We had a rather tramatic morning. Food didn't go well for anyone and everyone was running late.  The church was beautiful though.  Almost every church I've been in I light a candle in respect of the church and the people's love for God that it represents.  I love churches.  They are so wonderful.  In Salisbury they also have a copy of the Magna Carta, which we saw.  That day was also the day of the Royal Wedding.  We got to see a part of it when B. and I were shopping in a store.  We had a great conversation with the man in there about it. 
After Salisbury, we went to London.  After dropping our bags off at the hotel we went to Piccadilly Square, which is like their Times Square.  I loved it! So many people.  Everyone was celebrating in the streets for the royal wedding that day, but every day we went after that was still very crowded and bustling.  I thought it was so fun.  Some of us who didn't have a musical that night went shopping.  The next day we went to a few museums and then to Portabello Road.  I thought that was so cool!  It was a massive street fair.  Mostly antique stuff.  The people I was with grew tired of it quickly so we left and went shopping again.  We went to this little hole in the wall cafe while we were on Portabello and it was so good.  That night I attended Les Miserables.  It wasn't my favorite and I've never been so high up for a musical in my life.  It was a cool building though.
The last day in London we went to church and then tagged along with one of our favorite teachers, Brother W.  He took us to see some of the touristy things and to teach us how to eat for cheap since we'd been struggling (grocery stores.  its brilliant). We saw the changing of the guards which is so long!  I didn't think it would be such a long process.  They played Star Wars and Indiana Jones during it which we all thought was funny.  We walked around the corner to Big Ben and the Eye and took pictures.  I must confess I haven't been the most faithful photographer.  My camera is either dead or I feel weird taking pictures (like in a church).  Mostly its dead though.  I found someone with a charger for my other camera so that's charging right now and hopefully I'll improve.  After we saw all that we went to St. Paul's Cathedral.  B. and I weren't going to since my feet were killing me and she was tired, but Brother W. said it was really worth a see.  So we went.  We got there in time to attend a service.  It was so cool.  There was insence and prayer and preaching all in this fabulously beautfil baroque style church.  It was awesome.  He used a new translation of the Bible, which sounded odd to me at first.  It was really nice to see how other people worship.  I shook the priest/bishop's hand and he seemed like such a sweet man.  I really like seeing other people that are so dedicated to their love for God.
Back to Vienna.  I have no clue what we are going to do all day tomorrow.  None of the teachers have any intention to see us at all tomorrow, but none of us know what to do.  We couldn't even fill up the free afternoon thez gave us today. 
Okay I'll try to write at least once more before I leave Vienna since I seem to have a reliable source of internet.  Still no pictures.  Mobile Me isnät letting me steal them off.  Oh well. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment