Mediterranean

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Today was a free day till 2:30. We walked abound. We walked along the river to the church with the statue head that you put your hand in that is in Roman Holiday. I put my hand in his mouth. I don't remember what it's called in Italian but the translation is the mouth of truth.
Then we walked to the old chariot race field. It's massive. A teacher and D. raced part of it.
Then we walked to a church that has catacba. We walked through the church and down some stairs to the catacombs beneath. They were early Christian catacombs. It was really cool. Kind of creepy. There were some monks or priests chanting and we weren't really sure why. We thought maybe a funeral.
Then we descended deeper. Underneath the catacombs there was a roman house. It still had a running spring water fixture. That was seriously cool. There was also an old Mithras cult alter. It's the cult with a bull. They also perched of resurrection, but were very secretive.
Last we visited a large church. It was very pretty and ornate. It seemed as big as St Peters. It had a Moses statue with horns.
After that we took the metro to a closer spot to home to walk back. We got McDonalds. Yep.
Then we drove out to the coast. It only took a few minutes. It's really pretty but reminds me a lot of home. I don't have a swimsuit but I put my feet in the water and it was freezing. I stayed on the sand.
Yesterday we went to the Vativan. We got up early to beat the line. We went through the walls into the city and it was really neat. We first saw this column base that showed both Greek and roman style reliefs. Than we saw early Christian sarcophagi. They had the old Christian symbol, the X with the elongated P running through it and the alpha and omega signs on either side. I like the symbol.
When we saw a lot of roman and Greek sculptures. I really like sculptures. One of my favorites was the personification of the Rober Nile.
Then we went to see Rafael's works. The Fire of Borgo and the Dcholors of Athens.
We walked through the modern art exhibit fto get to the Sistine chapel. It's so beautiful. Smaller than I expected theoigh. Then we hiked the dome of St Peters. That was a struggle. We made it and I sent a postcard at the top. Then we went in St Peters. So amazing! So ornate and gold. It's crazy. Michelangelo's pieta is really cool. Burnini's alter thing is so beautiful. I really liked that. We walked around Rome after that and then later that night we a tually went to see Rome lit up. We saw the runes and the coliseum. So so so crazy pretty. We also saw some bats and ate some more gelato.
That's been my last few days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment