Haribo candy

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Thursday
So. The day after we went to the beach we went to the etruscian tombs. The etruscains were a pre-Roman people who were probably descended from the vollanovas. They had a very positive persception of the afterlife so they painted the pleasures of life on the walls of their tombs. There were dolphins and birds and feasts portrayed. We haven't been able to decipher their language yet, but we have a golden book written by them. The tombs reminded me of hobbitville because they went down into the hills an they hills were so grassy and flowery.
After the tombs we went to an ancient Roman port city. I loved the mosaics. This trio has made me develop a love for tile, particularly marble tile floor but tile mosaics as well. I love it. The ruins were amazing. There was a restruat type buildig and it was so well preserved. They were really interesting to learn about.
We flew to Madrid later in the evening and didn't arrive at our hotel till midnight.
Friday
Yesterday we went to the castle Escorial. I, of course, got terribly lOst. I have a bad tendency for that. There was a lot of beautiful art work and many of the religious scenes were stories that I haven't seen painted very often, such as the story of Sampson. I walked through the crypt part all by myself when I was lost and it freaked me out. What if the day of the dead or the resurrection happens while I'm by myself surrounded by dead people? Ew. Creepy. Anyway. I found peoPle while I was sitting in the basilica and went with them to the gardens. They were breathe taking. They were right on the edge of the mountain and you could see for miles. The gardens were beautifully sculpted and the pools had swans. It was so so pretty.
We then went to Segovia. It's a small Spanish (tourist) town. It has a Roman aqueduct which was really cool. We didn't know what to do their because the professors just sort of kicked us out of the bus and told us not to bother them if we happened to encounter them. So B. and I walked abound looking for food and trying to be positive even when everyone else was being a grouch. We climbed the aqueduct and found a while other city. We were a little disappointed. Because we hadn't know that part existed and had purchased food at the bottom that was more expensive than that on the top. we had fun wandering the streets. Some of the buildings had really pretty textured walls. We happened to run into a
Massive cathedral that kind of reminded me of those models kids make in grade school. It was all wooden and had cool ornate designs on the spires. We kept seeing a palace on postcards but had no idea where it was. (Later we saw a map and realized it'd we had kept
Walking up we would have hit it eventually) then we meandered into an outlook atea. We were on top of a hill and saw every thing for miles. The town ended quickly and the rest was beautiful fields and hills. we had fountain water there too and it was delicious.
We went back to the hotel Finally and went to buy candy from the store. Me and B ate a whole bag of Haribo candy while listening to B.P. Talking and giggling. It was fun. We've eaten so much Hatibo candy this trip. It's a little out of control.
Today, we are off to Toledo and then off to the Reina Sofia museum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment