Last Day in the City of Music

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Today was our totally free day. We weren't sure what we were going to do when we came home last night. Luckily we made a great plan. I'm into maps so I drew all over mine and wrote our plan down. We woke up and left by 9:30 this morning. We took a streetcar all the way to the Central Cemetary to visit the graves of the diseased composers. Mozart has a monument there as well, even though he technically isn't buried there. It was very cool. We also walked over to the Jewish section of the cemetery. That made me kind of sad. They have no posterity to take care of their plots, so they are thickly overgrown or are broken. Many were even pushe over or purposefully broken after one of Hitler's speaches. It was rather sad and so quiet.
After that we went to Karlscirche or whatever. Charles' Church. We climbed up all this scaffolding to the top of the dome. It was kind of scary. It was so rickety and high! But the dome was amazing to see up close. It's a baroque style church so the art is beautiful and very decorative.
We went to a palace after that. We couldn't go in because it was so expensive.
Then we went all the way back to the ice cream place from the first night. It's so good and creamy and has delicious flavors. M. and I got some while everyone else went home. I got hazelnut, vanilla, and chocolate. The place is called Tichy but is pronounced teeky.
After that we went to an opera. They have standing tickets for only €4. So we though it would he cool. The opera was Don Giovani by Mozaert. I loved it but my feet were killing me so I left at intermission. I have terrible feet. No matter what shoes o wear I'm in pain.
Anyway. Tomorrow we drive out to Velden then on to Florence. I'm so excited for Italy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment